june 2014 - december 2015

june 2014 - december 2015

April 14, 2015

WEEK 44: Behold- The Notorious Farmer's Tan Returns

Let the attractive tan lines return.  The powerful Monterrey Sun has come out, and I already have a defined shoe strap tan line.

A great week ended with Eduard's baptism!  Here is the story with him.  Our first week here we were searching for an inactive family-- La Familia Aguilar-- and when we found them, we learned that Edward, 10 years old, had not been baptized but wanted to be.  So these past 6 weeks we have been reactivating this family as well as preparing this boy to be baptized.  It has been really neat to see this family change-- grow more happier as they've returned to the gospel.  During the baptism we sang "Grand Eres Tu"...."How Great thou Art" with the new elders in our ward....Elder Plaza from Ecuador and Elder Clark from Utah.  Next week we have 2 more baptisms with kids of less active families, and it was funny because after Edward's baptismal service, the bishop came up to Hermana Flores and I and said:  "Próxima semana más bautismos?? Qué hicieron??" "more baptisms next week?  What have you guys done??" hahah we really have had lots of work here in Miguel Aleman!  There have only been about 2 baptisms in this area the last 8 months or so-- so it has been great helping this area/ward progress.
Us with the elders in our ward and the other ward in our church building 

Highlights of the week:

So one night we were walking by a Christian church around 8 pm, and an idea popped into my mind that we should go in and sing a hymn for everyone there.  My companion laughed nervously-- we dodged the bullet and entered and sat down.  The preacher was yelling, reading a bible story very passionately about mothers eating their children haah Hna Flores and I seriousy felt fear sitting in there!!  At the end, the preacher turned to us and asked-- HERMANAS DE DIOS... Les Gustaría compartir algo concerniente nuestro señor jesucristo?  SISTERS OF GOD....would you like to share something concerning our Lord Jesus Christ?  At this moment, i quickly got up, introduced ourselves, and asked if we could sing a hymn.  We stood up front and sang Yo Sé Que Vive Mi Señor....I know that My Redeemer Lives.... one of my favorite hymns.  The look on everyone's face...the PREACHER'S face....was indescribable!  All smiling, closing their eyes, recognizing the peace this song brings. I have had numerous magical mission experiences, but this had to be one of my favorites.  At the end we bore testimony of our savior jesus christ.  Music has an indescribable way to penetrate the heart-- music is my passion.  I'm actually currently working on writing a song in spanish to the tune of Where Can I Turn For Peace :)

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the Love of God, which is in Christ, Jesus our Lord  Romans 8:39
A great family in my ward
Well we have a grandma, daughter, and grandson who have been going to church with us!  They are all set for baptism May 10th :)  Gloria, Gloria, and Humberto....they have been listening to the missionaries for 4 years and their first time at church was general conference last weekend!  It was adorable-- the first time we met them, Humberto (9 years old) was wearing a BYU sweatshirt-- a member I guess had previously given it to him-- and he got pretty excited when I told him that I went to school there hahah.  Seriously so random he had a BYU sweatshirt!  It's actually not surprising- all the street markets here sell fan clothing for every USA sport and university hahah.  But yes- this family is golden.  I'll write more about them next week.
This girl in my ward squeezes me EVERY time I see her haha it is the cutest
A new family we have begun teaching is one of the humblest I've met-- About 12 family members live in this barren house, half of them don't know how to read, and one woman has cancer.  It's brutal.  She goes in for chemotherapy treatments 3 days a week, and that very same afternoon she comes home, puts on her wig, and walks a few blocks to set out her little gum / candy stand and sells what she can to bring in income for the family.  Her story has really impacted me-- in her prayers with us she prayers for OTHER people battling diseases-- and here she is dying of cancer, selling candy on the street just so she can put food on the table for her kids.
Mama Robles


Wish I could share every single experience I've had!! Luckily my journal is FILLED so when I return home in 8 months I will have even more stories to share about the people that have touched my life.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:  for it is the power of god unto Salvation to everyone that believeth  Romans 1:16


C O N  A M O R
hermana riches



Print Friendly and PDF

SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS