june 2014 - december 2015

june 2014 - december 2015

October 01, 2014

La Vida without GPS... (Week 16)

Big thank yous to sister katie barrus and the Helveys for your letters!!  and mom I got your package :)  PS:  I go to the temple next week so expect me to write next thursday instead of monday!

So as some of you know, I have a HORRIBLE sense of direction...one time I got lost driving home from a grocery store 2 minutes away from my house hahaha remember Jordan and Becca??  So yes....an adjustment for me here is learning how to read a real map!  yes, they still exist.  Tuesday we had intercambios and Hermana Batalla went with a different Hermana to another area and I stayed here in Sada Vidrio with a new hermana.  I had to take charge of my area without the help of my trainer for a whole 24 hours haha and it actually went really well!!  I found every house and successfully taught every lesson and found my way back home....well I did knock on the wrong door once hahaha.  and one of our investigadoras accepted fecha!!  (accepted baptismal date) so that was very exciting.  Being in charge of my area for the day gave me confidence and a realization that I do know this doctrine and the language!

Here in the mission we have some goals that we are completing by the end of the year.  Up until mid october we are focusing our studies on the Atonement of Jesus Christ and Personal revelation.  Our church is centered on the atonement of Jesus Christ and the power we gain from it.

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind, and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and sicknesses of his people.  And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his peopleñ  and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities¨ ALMA 7:11-12

Personal revelation is also very important because we need to help people find answers for themselves...to help them recognize the ways that God answers their prayers.  God answers our questions through the feelings in our heart....joy, peace, happiness, comfort.  It´s key that we really teach this at the beginning ebcause then they can know that everything can be answered and revealed to them as truth.  

¨but behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind, then you must ask me if it be right.  and if it be right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you, therefore, you shall feel that it is right¨ D&C 9:8

I really do know this to be true, and I have seen it here with the people I meet and have seen this change their lives.

another mission goal is we are reading the whole El Libro de Mormón before the end of the year....but in a unique way.  We each have a new copy and as we read we are highlighting every reference of Jesus Christ, his own words, every time a person shows a christlike attribute (faith, virtue, patience, knowledge, obedience, humility, diligence, love, charity) and all of the principles and doctrine (for example prayer, or the plan of salvation, or repentence).  so yes you have to really do a close reading!  I am really enjoying this though because I can see how every single verse has importance.  I´m reading El Libro de Mormón twice at the same time right now haha!  But it´s really helping me with the language.

As a missionary I have learned so much...not just specifically doctrine in the church, but so much about life in general and about myself.  I´ve really learned the importance of actions and words.....and how as individuals we need to be mindful of others at all times.  We don´t know the hardships that people are currently going through.  We can´t just look at someones life and ask ourselves....¨well they need to do this more¨ or ¨they need this characteristic more¨.  You have to always put yourself in their shoes.  I´ve also learned that we don´t always have to be on-the-go all the time....the people here aren´t on their computers or phones and they actually spend quality time just sitting and talking haha!  so i´ve definitely learned to just go with the flow here.

yesterday in church was the primary program!!!  where all the kids sing church songs and recite little lines hahah it was adorable...only about 12 kids here in my ward and the theme was ¨families can be together forever¨ These kids bring such a sweet spirit!!  It reminded me so much of home hahah and it was funny to see that the kids still wave from the stand to their parents in the audience.

This week I had ANOTHER sick experience I swear I have been having the worst luck with health!  I have been having a terrible ear infection ever since I arrived here in mexico, and this week it was at its worst.  I got another round of antibiotics, because the first 4 didn´t do anything.....and I ended up having to get 3 shots fridaysaturday, and sunday!  not fun haha but I FINALLY feel better and I just hope that my infection doesn´t come back!

Well family and friends, I miss you all!  We have great investigators, and next week I will have more teaching stories...I wish I could email home every day there is so much to report on haha!  I really like this scripture:

Ï am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, through his infinite goodness and grace, will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end.¨ Moroni 8:3

I pray for you all EVERY DAY!!!  Les extraño mucho!!! hasta próxima semana!


c o n  a m o r
hermana riches


Print Friendly and PDF

SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS