june 2014 - december 2015

june 2014 - december 2015

January 06, 2015

Starting Off on a High Note (Week 30)


¡¡¡FELIZ AÑO NUEVO!!! This week I have been reflecting a lot on all the great memories of 2014... and how 2015 is going to be even greater!  Jordan will head off to college, Becca will get her driver's permit, and I will be returning home!  The people here celebrated new years eve with fireworks, fiestas on every corner, and of course:  Tamales.  We had to teach all day and couldn't eat dinner with a family, but we brought home some prepared ham, mashed potatoes, spagetti, and a marshmellow dessert cooked by the amazing Alma Sanchez.  Hermana Mendoza taught me a mexican tradition= "12 DESEOS" OR "12 WISHES" that it is common here on new years eve.  You write down 12 wishes you want to come true or goals that you have, and then you have to read them off to each other and make a toast to the new year (with coca light of course)....then at 11:59 you have to eat 12 grapes and think of every wish you wrote down before it turns to 12am.... or else they don't "come true"...i successfully did it so we will see how lucky I am this year :)
us sharing with these kids pass along cards for the christmas video the church put out
New Years day was celebrated by eating HÍGADO.....drum roll please....LIVER.  yes I had my first experience of eating liver.  Luckily it looked like a piece of steak so i just pictured myself eating dad's riquísimo flank steak....although it wasn't exactly the same haha.  I also have put lots of goals for myself that i want to complete here as a missionary.  Goals help us improve and progress a humans, and here in the mission we have an outline we use for goal setting:  

goals should be.....

S ean específicos (specific)
M edibles (measurable)
A lcanzables (reachable)
R ealistas (realistic)
T iempo definido (determined amount of time)

I promise that Heavenly Father will help us follow through with our new years resolutions.....and *** for those of you who promised to "never eat chocolate or sweets this year", you can read this scripture for motivation***:

"...God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
My Church building
So I have a funny story and good news:  This week are transfers, and I have been in my area now for almost 6 months so all this past week I was pretty much packin' up getting ready to go, thinking I would be transferred.  This past sunday I bore my testimony in church, expressing the love I have for my ward here in Sada Vidrio, thanking them for all their service to us missionaries, etc.  The members were giving me lots of hugs and even tears in their eyes as we said our "final goodbyes" and "final pictures" together.  I even found myself passing by 7/11 sunday afternoon to bid farewells to the workers......the friendships I have established here really are so deep hahahahah!  and sure enough, late sunday night as my compañera and I were anxiously waiting for our district leader to call us with Transfer news, I was led to disbelief when we found out we would be staying here together for another Cambio!!  hahahah so I have been hit by the missionary curse of "those who say their goodbyes end up staying another transfer" but hey I am so happy to be here for another 6 weeks with Hermana Mendoza!  We have seen some amazing progress with a few investigadores and have a baptism set for February 1st!!  Victor Manuel is our golden investigador.  Him and His mom even FASTED with us this weekend to recieve an answer if this church is true! (as members of the church we fast...or go without food or water for 24 hours....in order to recieve needed answers, we fast for family members who are really sick or struggling,...or when we just need strength from God)  So yes Victor Manuel said he wasn't even hungry after church because he felt full even though he went without eating for 24 hours.  We are so happy that they are recieving answers, and even though the mom still is hesitant to go to church with us, I know that seeing her son get baptized will help her have the same desire so that they can be an eternal family.  So yes I am so happy to be here another transfer to see more miracles in Sada Vidrio.

"Behold I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true...behold I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God.  Behold I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself" Alma 5:46

some of my "goodbye" photos" hahah:

 Dani Montemayor who I love so much!
All the women here in my ward
Relief Society Counselors
Well it is FREEZING here!!! I am that missionary found wearing leggings OVER a pair of tights, scarf or a ski neck gator, pea coat, 2 sweaters, boots.....but then what will happen is an hour later the sun comes out and im found carrying all of my layers haha the weather is wacky.

Next week we may go to the temple so I may write on thursday!

some pictures from Christmas Eve:
Hermana Marlene, she made such a delicious christmas eve dinner
¡Hasta Luego!

C O N  A M O R
Hermana Riches


Print Friendly and PDF

SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS