june 2014 - december 2015

june 2014 - december 2015

January 28, 2015

Week 33: Confession: I miss Chipotle

Surviving cold Monterrey 
Yes.  It is true.  I miss chipotle.  I shouldn't be saying this as I am currently living in the heart of homemade tortillas and salsas...which really are so good...but our "classic mexican food" we have at home really isn't "legit mexican food" at all.  I have come to appreciate our take on mexican food as I have discovered the following:

1.  Guacamole is rarely seen or made.
2.  Chips and salsa are not served berfore meals
3.  Those really good "juarito" fruit drinks sold in mexican restaraunts can't be found.
4.  The enchiladas are not smothered in cheese like they are at home
5.  You are instantly judged if you just order a quesadilla
6.  The "mexican blend" shredded cheese sold in Safeway does not exist.

so yes...at times I truly miss my beloved burrito bowl from chipotle.

***I also have been corrected:  "toquitos" are not what we call "toquitos" at home...they are actually "flautas" toquitos are simply miniature tacos with miniature tortillas hahaha.
Yes, we were brave and ate habanero chilis...almost died

It's also pretty funny here because if you say an american brand in an american accent, no one understands you:  for example, The following words I now have to say with a mexican accent:

Ruffles (chips):  roof-les
Catchup:  cat-soop
KFC (Kentucky fried chicken):  kaw-efe-say
Waffle:  waw-flay
Pizza Hut:  peeksa-hoot
Google:  goo-glay
etc.

sometimes the struggle is far to real as I can't really hide the fact that I'm that blonde blue eyed outcast trying to fit in hahaha.
Around the corner from our apartment
Well we are currently battling a nasty head-nose-throat cold, along with the rest of the inhabitants of Monterrey.  Because the weather changes so often lots of people get sick Jan-March.  A woman in our ward literally has 9 cats and all of them are sick and sneeze all over the place hahaha her home is a cat hospital with a bunch of shots laying around...I blame her cats for my sickness.  My companion has had a brutal cough and has had to wear a mask....leading the children in the street to yell DOCTORA DOCTORA!!! hahaha.  We both have super manly sore throats...hopefully we can recover this week.
Us at church yesterday hahaha
Us crazy 4 here in Sada Vidrio
It's interesting how some of the coolest experiences we have are talking with taxi drivers.  We always present ourselves and ask taxi drivers about their families, religious beliefs, the role of God in their life.  Most of them work all day all night and rarely see their families.  This week we talked to a taxi driver in particular, and when we asked him if he believed in God, he paused and meditated for a second, not knowing if he did or not.  It makes me sad when people don't know that Heavenly Father really does live, and that he produces miracles in our lives everyday.  I love my mission because I can testify of this to all I come across.

Mom- the people here are amazed by the invention of hand warmers hahaha thank you!!!

We also go to the temple next thursday so I will write thursday Feb 5th!
Sweet boy in my ward
Doris, a sweet lady in my ward
"God Cares about you.  He will listen, and He will answer your personal questions.  The answers to your prayers will come in His own way and in His own time, and therefore, you need to learn to listen to His voice.  God wants you to find your way back to Him, and the Savior is the way.  God wants you to learn of his Son, Jesus Christ, and experience the profound peace and joy that come from following the path of divine discipleship" Pres. Uchtdorf
Love these 4 ladies

C O N  A M O R
hermana riches


Print Friendly and PDF

SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS